I was going for a more serious look on this fox, but it turned out cuter than intended, which I’m actually rather happy with. This is the first painting or drawing of a fox I’ve ever done.
Other firsts this week have been an acrylic painting of elephants and a portrait in acrylic, both of which can be seen on my instagram.
For anyone interested in finding out more about fur foxes, I highly recommend checking out my friend Kats’ website https://kaiswayridgefoxes.com there’s lots of cute pictures of her foxes and interesting information. The site is named in honour of one of her foxes Kai who was unfortunately recklessly released by someone
To join my last picture of our crested drake, I’ve now painted Gerald, our Cayuga Drake. So you know.. he doesn’t feel left out. I take a lot of photos of him, so no doubt I’ll end up painting him again soon.
This was painted with winsor & newton gouache on daler rowney mixed media paper.
We have 6 ducks and yesterday I decided to paint our crested drake.
We’ve only recently got this pair and haven’t even named them yet, but he’s already been painted. I’ve been organised and already uploaded the speed paint video for this and prints are available at Fine art America and Society6. I’ll get round to uploading my Peacock painting on there shortly. Those that follow me on instagram will have seen that painting.
He was painted using winsor and newton gouache, I’m becoming quite a fan on this stuff and was completed on A4 Daler Rowney mixed media paper. I like how this paper handles things pretty well without warping too much. It’s also the paper that I’m using for my inktober pictures and it’s really nice not having to worry about the ink bleeding through into the page below.
My latest picture is of a Eurasian Eagle-Owl, birds are one of my favourite things to paint and I’m pretty happy with how this has turned out.
The reference photo came from pixabay, the paints used were Liquitex basics acrylic paints and surface painted on was a Fredrix medium textured canvas pad.
I really like how well the paints work for building up layers and doing glazes. Every section of this painted has multiple layers and glazes, even the background. Whilst painting it’s also really important to not just paint black and leave it as this can appear flat. To prevent this, another colour being glazed over it really helps to create more depth.
Prints are available at fine art america of this
Additionally, I also have this and a few other original paintings of mine for sale currently. Please check them out 🙂 here
I’ve been updating my instagram quite a bit, but thought I’d actually do a post on my current paintings. All three of these were done using Sakura Koi watercolours (one of my favourite watercolour sets) on Derwent 140lbs A4 watercolour paper – I like the smoothness of this paper which allows for more detail.
I completed all of these paintings only using one brush, it’s a number 10 SAA all rounder brush that I got for free after buying some other things from SAA So far I am totally in love with this brush for watercolours, it’s big enough for decent washes and yet also works well for detail.
The reference photo for both the Chicken and the Robin came from Pixabay. The cupcakes were sort of freestyled whilst also looking at various cupcake pictures on pixabay… safe to say it made me want cakes after that. 🙂
Prints are available of all of these on Fine art america
This painting was done from one of my own reference photos taken at the JC Farm open day, which was held during the open farm sunday event in the UK. This Gyr Falcon was one of my favourite birds from the Hawkeye Falconry UK birds that they had there. If you’d like to know more about the birds, or just look at pretty pictures of birds of prey, their facebook page is right here and equally the one for the farm is here, definitely worth checking out.
For the painting I used Liquitex basics acrylic paints on a Fredrix medium texture 9×12″ canvas pad. I also added damask print to the background, because I like the way it looks and how the colours contrast with the background.
Considering prior to my most recent projects I wasn’t really a fan of using acrylic paints, I can definitely say that learning the techniques of glazing and using liquitex basics paints has made acrylic painting much more enjoyable and the results seem to be getting a lot more on track with what I’d like.
In other news, we have baby chicks, well at least one, so far. Little Caramel, out first hen to go broody has at least one little baby chicken to bring up. So I’m sure lots of updates will follow about those as well as upcoming artwork.