Today, in between adding a few more rounds to a seemingly never ending knitting project I’m doing. I finished a canvas board acrylic painting that I’ve been on and off working on for the past week.
My main inspiration for this painting was the idea that I wanted to do something red. I was really captivated by the idea and so I naturally thought the best was to do it was the contract between red and green. Creating the green background was certainly fun, I wanted to get as many different tones in it as I could. Then I just had to decide what to actually paint on it once the background had dried. As a child I always liked tulips, yet hadn’t actually drawn or painted them since then.
I then added a layer of white onto where I would put the tulips and the other objects. This allowed me to not only have an idea of what the finished thing would look like, as well as having a guide of where to paint, but also meant that the further colours once added would stand out a lot more. This allowed for a sort of natural shading effect.
With the bird, I used my new acrylic mediums I got to today to experiment with the different effects. This created a sort of shine and transparency that I think helps to give the bird slightly more realistic feathers.