I’ve recently been getting into using Gouache. It’s been fun to try out and I’ve been really happy with the results so far. I’ve been using Winsor & Newton Gouache.
Here are some of the results I’ve had so far
Not my most realistic piece, but I like it!
This painting was done from one of my own reference photos taken at the JC Farm open day, which was held during the open farm sunday event in the UK. This Gyr Falcon was one of my favourite birds from the Hawkeye Falconry UK birds that they had there. If you’d like to know more about the birds, or just look at pretty pictures of birds of prey, their facebook page is right here and equally the one for the farm is here, definitely worth checking out.
For the painting I used Liquitex basics acrylic paints on a Fredrix medium texture 9×12″ canvas pad. I also added damask print to the background, because I like the way it looks and how the colours contrast with the background.
Considering prior to my most recent projects I wasn’t really a fan of using acrylic paints, I can definitely say that learning the techniques of glazing and using liquitex basics paints has made acrylic painting much more enjoyable and the results seem to be getting a lot more on track with what I’d like.
Prints can be brought on fine art america of this
In other news, we have baby chicks, well at least one, so far. Little Caramel, out first hen to go broody has at least one little baby chicken to bring up. So I’m sure lots of updates will follow about those as well as upcoming artwork.
Update 6/08/17 – this painting is now for sale on ebay, and a percentage goes to the RSPB if it sales, so it’s a good deed to check it out 🙂 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/-/253082107616?
Also, we now have at least 13 healthy chicks 🙂 it’s rather chick-tastic (okay, bad joke, I know) 🙂
My latest completed painting is this Heron, he was painted on a Fredrix canvas pad with Liquitex basics acrylics. It was painted from a reference photo that I took at London Zoo. There are lots of Herons at London zoo and I saw many in different enclosures, this particular one was taken whilst he was in with the Otters, he was much easier to take a decent shot of than the otters who didn’t want to look up as they were too busy eating!
This painting measures 20×20 cm on a 22.9×30.5 medium texture fredrix canvas.
Prints are for sale through fine art america https://fineartamerica.com/featured/heron-painting-isabel-proffit.html?newartwork=true
I have also recently started listing some of my originals for sale through ebay.
You can keep up to date with whatever I’m working on through the following social media. I’m currently working on a picture of a Gyr falcon, for it I’m working from a reference photo I took at a local farm open day where Hawkeye Fanconry UK were showing their birds.
Facebook – Isabel Proffit Artwork
No one wants to paint a moth, right?
Well apparently I did.
I usually shy away from acrylics as they tend to never go right for me. However I recently decided to try and make them work after getting some Liquitex basics acrylic paints.
As always, there’s plenty of room for improvement, but I do quite like this picture. Just need to get a frame for it now I think and put it somewhere.
As I took the reference photo myself, I’m giving anyone that wants to try and paint this permission to do so. If you do, please post it to my facebook page as seeing what other people create is half the fun of this kind of community.
Not entirely sure what kind of bird this is, which is unusual for me, but saw this picture on pixabay and thought “Hey, that’s pretty!” so that’s what I spent a bit of yesterday doing.
I drew it out on Winsor and Newton A5 140lb cold pressed watercolour paper. I love this paper because of the depth and character it feels like it adds to watercolours.
I used my Sakura Koi watercolours for the painting and tried to limit myself as to how many colours I was using, unlike usual where I try and use way too much of everything. Sometimes simple is best. The colours I used I think were Payne’s Grey, Crimson Lake, Permanent Deep Yellow, Ultramarine, Cerulean Blue and Yellow Green.
After many distractions, I’m happy to say yesterday I finally called this finished.
Completed on Frabriano Artistico watercolour paper that I cut down to A4 size. I used as usual a mix of Luminance and Polychromos coloured pencils to complete this, along with using Gamsol for blending. The reference photo came from Pixabay.
Well I think it’s a Spaniel, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong! 🙂
My reference photo came from pixabay. It was originally in colour, which I changed to black and white to make doing a graphite picture easier.
To try and make sure my initial drawing was as accurate as possible, I used the grid method as I did in my last picture. I think I still need to improve on making sure a few of the details were in the right place, but overall I’m rather happy with how this has come out.
This is the first picture I’ve completed with the Faber-Castell 9000 graphite pencils and I’m really liking them so far. This picture had lots of layers put on it and the pencils blended really well. I’d definitely recommend these pencils.
I also used a different paper for this piece, I used A4 Bristol Board 280gm. I really liked how smooth and sturdy this paper felt.
Prints are available at Fine Art America