Drawing and procrastinating…

I’ve not had much time or patience for art work lately,  changing jobs, being out in the garden being practical. As well as most importantly making a fuss of our new Chickens.

However as the weather gets less hospitable and there’s less to do, I’m slowly getting back to the artwork.  I did get about half way through Inktober,  evidence of which can be seen on my facebook page.

I’ve also been meaning to update this site, or maybe create a better website, hopefully I’ll get round to that at some point.

As for now though, I’m very happy with myself, as yesterday I completed the picture below.

eagle-in-pencil

Drawn on A5 Derwent watercolour paper, using Royal & Langnickel graphite pencils.

Reference photo from Pixabay

Blue Eagle

blue eagle.jpg

I felt like doing something a little different and I’d had this idea in my mind for a little while, so I turned a Bald Eagle into a Blue Eagle. The reference photo I used was http://pmp-art.com/angeline-rijkeboer/gallery/157941/bald-eagle

This was done in the same way most of my pictures lately have been, using both Polychromos and Luminance coloured pencils and blending using Gamsol (which is a paint thinner), and was created on  Daler Rowney Aquafine hot pressed 140lb watercolour paper. I like using this paper because it’s nice and solid, allows a decent amount of layers, doesn’t seem to buckle at all under water or paint thinner, and also adds a bit of texture because it’s not completely smooth, which works out pretty well when drawing animals I think.

 

Art Prints

Fine Art America 

Deviant Art – http://fav.me/d9xujzs 

Watercolour pencil little bird

Watercolour pencil bird picture

I started this last night and finished it today,  one of the best and worst things about being slightly nocturnal, all the best ideas and the inspiration to do things comes at silly times of night.

Products used

  • Derwent watercolour pencils
  • Derwent A5 watercolour paper 140lbs
  • A Derwent number 1 aquabrush

I got the reference photo for this little guy off of morguefile. I began by drawing out the branch with a watercolour pencil, using number 61 which is Copper Beech,  I used this as it’s a mid range between the darker and lighter colours I would be using on the branch. I then placed in the outline for the bird using number 39 Turquoise Blue. Once I’d done that and was happy it was looking accurate, I began to block in the colours of brown for the branch.  I used several different shades and overlapped a lot of them to aid with them mixing once I added the water, once I was happy that it looked like a reasonably realistic branch (I obviously wasn’t going for total realistic detail with this one)  I used one of my aqua brushes to blend the browns together, being careful not to overwork any of the areas as the colour moves a little too much and risks losing some of the values and shades when that happens.

After I’d finished the branch I started adding the colour to the bird, I used greys, white and blues, including the one I did the outline with to do the majority of the birds colours,  I also used raw sienna and burnt sienna for the orange sections of the feathers,  then using my aqua brush I blended the colours together. Making sure that the brush strokes went in the same directions as the feathers. Once it’d had dried I then picked out highlights and darkened some areas by using my brush to directly take colour from the selected pencils to get finer detail.

When I was done with the bird I went through my background adding various greens, and blues including the ones used on the bird, overlapping several areas, I also added a brown in there to create the look of possible trees.  Then I just used my aqua brush on it, making sure the brush strokes didn’t all go in the same way.  I was going for more of a blurry look with the background to help make the bird and the branch stand out.

One of the reasons I love watercolour pencils so much is the ability to create quick projects with them.

 

Watercolour pencil picture

Cardinal  in a tree done with watercolour pencils on Winsor & Newton A5 watercolour paper.    The reference photo came from Morguefile.

This took me about half an hour – an hour to finish yesterday. It’s always nice just picking up watercolour pencils, drawing something and just going with it.

cardinal on branch

A Chickadee in coloured pencil

chickadee bubbles

I finished this one yesterday, it didn’t really turn out exactly how I wanted – probably not enough layers – but I’m still pretty happy with it.

It’s a black capped Chickadee, the reference photo came from paint my photo.

I used Polychromos pencils from Faber-Castell and A5 Derwent watercolour paper.

I’m still debating whether to put this one on fine art america or not.  ( A link to my current selection on there is here.)

And now – on to the next project,  although I’m not sure what that will be yet.

Song Sparrow – Three paintings in three days

Three card designs done in three days.  Kind of an achievement for me, so not too much of a wasted bank holiday weekend, even if the weather today was so particularly rubbish.  I spent much of today not knowing what I wanted to do, but ended up painting this little one.  I’m pretty happy with it.  🙂

It’s a cute little Song Sparrow .   The link to the reference photo is here 

songbird