After many distractions, I’m happy to say yesterday I finally called this finished.
Completed on Frabriano Artistico watercolour paper that I cut down to A4 size. I used as usual a mix of Luminance and Polychromos coloured pencils to complete this, along with using Gamsol for blending. The reference photo came from Pixabay.
This was done in the same way most of my pictures lately have been, using both Polychromos and Luminance coloured pencils and blending using Gamsol (which is a paint thinner), and was created on Daler Rowney Aquafine hot pressed 140lb watercolour paper. I like using this paper because it’s nice and solid, allows a decent amount of layers, doesn’t seem to buckle at all under water or paint thinner, and also adds a bit of texture because it’s not completely smooth, which works out pretty well when drawing animals I think.
So a few people may know I’ve been working on some commissions lately. Well these four have now been done and given to the person they were intended for as a gift by the person who actually commissioned them. I’m pretty happy with how they’ve turned out.
They were all done using Luminance and Polychromos coloured pencils.
Created using watercolour pencils to make a card for someone. I did this in many different layers so that different colours came out well and showed depth. The feathers had several different oranges, reds, browns and yellows used on them and the dark bits of the feathers had purple, blue and green used on them, this was to show the variations in colour and reflection as well as to make it not look as flat as it would have with just black on it.
I started this on Saturday and completed it this evening.
It’s a picture of a young swan, hence all the grey and different tones on it.
It was created using Polychromos pencils from Faber-Castell and Luminance pencils from Caran D’ache. The paper I did this on was Daler Rowney Aquafine aquarelle artists watercolour A4 hot pressed.
The reference photo is once again from Paint my photo, and actually from the same photographer as my Spaniel watercolour picture. A link to that is here
I did have a slight issue once I’d completed this picture, as I’d taped down the edges with masking tape, which is never normally a problem, but this time it stuck too much and ripped a bit of the paper, so it’s not the full A4 that it would have been. Thankfully I think I saved it well enough.
Today I finished off a picture I started on Saturday evening. It’s my first picture with my new pencils. I got the reference photo off of Morguefile.
I really am happy with how the pencils worked and how they blended and layered well and hope it’s the start of even better work to come. The background is especially something that I like how it turned out.
Faber-Castell Polychromos pencils from the set of 24 I brought – These are really great from what I can see.
Luminance pencils from Caran D’ache from the set of 20 – as I’d already heard, the white is pretty great, also really liked the other colours I tried out.
Gamsol for blending – obviously keeping the container I put it into closed when not in use and being mindful to keep this away from the cats. This worked really well for blending, and didn’t take me too long to get used to how it works.
The paper I used was Derwent watercolour paper – A5 – 140lbs – this let me do quite a few layers and generally seemed to work quite nicely, didn’t buckle at all when the blender was applied.