A Moth in Acrylic

No one wants to paint a moth, right?

Well apparently I did.  DSC05844

I usually shy away from acrylics as  they tend to never go right for me. However I recently decided to try and make them work after getting some Liquitex basics acrylic paints.

As always, there’s plenty of room for improvement, but I do quite like this picture. Just need to get a frame for it now I think and put it somewhere.

As I took the reference photo myself, I’m giving anyone that wants to try and paint this permission to do so. If you do, please post it to my facebook page   as seeing what other people create is half the fun of this kind of community.

Materials Used:

  • Liquitex basics acrylic paint
  • Fredrix medium texture 9 x 12 canvas pad
  • Reference photo – taken by me 🙂

DSC05641 edit

Advertisements

A Christmas Watercolour

Princettia.jpg

I usually try to complete one bit of artwork in some way on Christmas Day. This year, I gave painting this Princettia a go.  It was painted from my own reference photo, and painted on Winsor & Newton water colour A5 cold pressed paper with Winsor & Newton cotman watercolours.

If I were to paint this again, I would do quite a bit differently, try to get more detail in there and also try to make the shapes look a lot more defined.

On a slightly different note…  Happy Christmas from the Chickens 🙂

Just a Doodle

win or lose

I’d had the idea floating round in my mind for this design for some time, stuck in there with all those other ideas that are all fighting to become reality. I wanted something reasonably quick to complete after the eagle picture, so I decided to attempt to get this done.  Drawing out the lettering and colouring them in really reminded me of my old graphics classes and how much I both loved and hated typography.   This was drawn on my Daler Rowney A4 65lb Sketch paper, using Staedtler pigment liners.

 

Art Prints

http://isabelproffitart.deviantart.com/

Rose watercolour picture

rose  abstract.jpg

Well the weather’s quite terrible where I come from today, so here’s a nice little bright almost summery picture to hopefully brighten things up. This was just a little practice paint as I was mainly experimenting on trying to get the tone and shading right on the Rose.

Painted with my Sakura Koi Watercolours set and painted on A5 Derwent watercolour 140lb paper.

The reference photo came from paint my photo – http://pmp-art.com/breccabaroo/gallery/154697

Links

DeviantArt – http://isabelproffitart.deviantart.com/art/Rose-591964794

Fine Art America – http://fineartamerica.com/featured/rose-isabel-proffit.html

Water Lily – Watercolour

lilypads.jpg

Drawn for a card, outlined with pigment liners and then painted with watercolour. I used my Kuretake Gansai Tambi Japanese Watercolour Paints for this and it was the first time I’ve really used them.  They seem to be very pigmented and I like the look the colours have. I was using one of my aqua brushes for this but I think for these particular paints a normal paintbrush and water would be easier due to just how hard the colour can be to get off of an aqua brush.  

This was certainly fun to paint and it was my first time experimenting with using my liners and watercolour and I love the effect it’s created.  🙂

Links

Deviant art – http://isabelproffitart.deviantart.com/

Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/isabelproffitart/

Fine art America – http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/1-isabel-proffit/shop

Twitter – @IsabelProffit

Flower Doodle

flowers promarkers.jpg

Created this little flower doodle as a card today.  Always pleasing to do something nice and quick to create a unique card for someone.

I created this by drawing out the flowers, then going over it with my 0.3 Staedtler pigment liner. Then added colour with my Letraset Promarkers.  The lighter bits on the purple flower were done with a Pale Lavender Copic marker pen, which turned out to be really good at adding highlights to the petals even after I’d already coloured then in with my purple Promarker.