No one wants to paint a moth, right?
Well apparently I did.
I usually shy away from acrylics as they tend to never go right for me. However I recently decided to try and make them work after getting some Liquitex basics acrylic paints.
As always, there’s plenty of room for improvement, but I do quite like this picture. Just need to get a frame for it now I think and put it somewhere.
As I took the reference photo myself, I’m giving anyone that wants to try and paint this permission to do so. If you do, please post it to my facebook page as seeing what other people create is half the fun of this kind of community.
- Liquitex basics acrylic paint
- Fredrix medium texture 9 x 12 canvas pad
- Reference photo – taken by me 🙂
I like to doodle frogs sometimes and saw a photo of a little frog statue on pixabay and decided to doodle from that. Of course the end result kind of took on a life of its own, but it’s still kind of cute!
I used Lestraset and my grey C-3 Copic ciao markers on this, and of course my staedtler pigment liners for the outline.
Prints available https://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-frog-king-isabel-proffit.html?newartwork=true
Not entirely sure what kind of bird this is, which is unusual for me, but saw this picture on pixabay and thought “Hey, that’s pretty!” so that’s what I spent a bit of yesterday doing.
I drew it out on Winsor and Newton A5 140lb cold pressed watercolour paper. I love this paper because of the depth and character it feels like it adds to watercolours.
I used my Sakura Koi watercolours for the painting and tried to limit myself as to how many colours I was using, unlike usual where I try and use way too much of everything. Sometimes simple is best. The colours I used I think were Payne’s Grey, Crimson Lake, Permanent Deep Yellow, Ultramarine, Cerulean Blue and Yellow Green.
After many distractions, I’m happy to say yesterday I finally called this finished.
Completed on Frabriano Artistico watercolour paper that I cut down to A4 size. I used as usual a mix of Luminance and Polychromos coloured pencils to complete this, along with using Gamsol for blending. The reference photo came from Pixabay.
Prints are for sale at Fine Art America
Well I think it’s a Spaniel, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong! 🙂
My reference photo came from pixabay. It was originally in colour, which I changed to black and white to make doing a graphite picture easier.
To try and make sure my initial drawing was as accurate as possible, I used the grid method as I did in my last picture. I think I still need to improve on making sure a few of the details were in the right place, but overall I’m rather happy with how this has come out.
This is the first picture I’ve completed with the Faber-Castell 9000 graphite pencils and I’m really liking them so far. This picture had lots of layers put on it and the pencils blended really well. I’d definitely recommend these pencils.
I also used a different paper for this piece, I used A4 Bristol Board 280gm. I really liked how smooth and sturdy this paper felt.
Prints are available at Fine Art America
German Shepherd graphite picture, finally completed 🙂
So, it’s finally finished 😀
I’ve had regular updates of this little gem going up on my facebook page since I started working on it, and I’m very pleased to say I’ve finally decided I’m done with it.
I started working on this on the 15th of December and was hoping to have it done by Christmas, only a little over a week over schedule and I completed it yesterday. To be fair it did have to compete for my attention, and somehow Chickens tend to win my attention a little easier.
This was a fun piece to complete. I was going for as much realism as possible with this and used the grid method to try and make sure everything was in the right place. I tend to just try and free hand things entirely, but that doesn’t always help with learning, and can often create the sense of never being able to draw something right. The grid method helps to break things down square at a time.
I used my Royal & Langnickel graphite pencils to complete this. I like these pencils so far, although haven’t really had much to compare them to. I recently brought the Faber-Castell 9000 graphite pencils set, and can’t wait to try them out.
The paper I used was the one I most commonly use as I like it’s smooth finish and the level of detail possible to achieve – The Daler Rowney Hotpressed aquafine smooth watercolour 140lb A4 paper.
The reference photo came from pixabay.
Now off to find someone with one of these impressive looking dogs to make a fuss of before I get distracted by something else.
Prints of this are available on Fine Art America
I usually try to complete one bit of artwork in some way on Christmas Day. This year, I gave painting this Princettia a go. It was painted from my own reference photo, and painted on Winsor & Newton water colour A5 cold pressed paper with Winsor & Newton cotman watercolours.
If I were to paint this again, I would do quite a bit differently, try to get more detail in there and also try to make the shapes look a lot more defined.
On a slightly different note… Happy Christmas from the Chickens 🙂