Blue Eagle

blue eagle.jpg

I felt like doing something a little different and I’d had this idea in my mind for a little while, so I turned a Bald Eagle into a Blue Eagle. The reference photo I used was http://pmp-art.com/angeline-rijkeboer/gallery/157941/bald-eagle

This was done in the same way most of my pictures lately have been, using both Polychromos and Luminance coloured pencils and blending using Gamsol (which is a paint thinner), and was created on  Daler Rowney Aquafine hot pressed 140lb watercolour paper. I like using this paper because it’s nice and solid, allows a decent amount of layers, doesn’t seem to buckle at all under water or paint thinner, and also adds a bit of texture because it’s not completely smooth, which works out pretty well when drawing animals I think.

 

Art Prints

Fine Art America 

Deviant Art – http://fav.me/d9xujzs 

Coloured Pencil Swan Picture

swan

I started this on Saturday and completed it this evening.

It’s a picture of a young swan, hence all the grey and different tones on it.

It was created using Polychromos pencils from Faber-Castell and Luminance pencils from Caran D’ache.  The paper I did this on was Daler Rowney Aquafine aquarelle artists watercolour  A4 hot pressed.

The reference photo is once again from Paint my photo, and actually from the same photographer as my Spaniel watercolour picture.  A link to that is here 

I did have a slight issue once I’d completed this picture, as I’d taped down the edges with masking tape, which is never normally a problem, but this time it stuck too much and ripped a bit of the paper,  so it’s not the full A4 that it would have been.  Thankfully I think I saved it well enough.

You can get prints from fine art america
http://fineartamerica.com/featured/coloured-pencil-young-swan-isabel-proffit.html

As always you can get regular updates of whatever I may be working on in these places

https://www.facebook.com/isabelproffitart/

Twitter @isabelproffit

Kittens, cards and a Labrador

It’s been a pretty hectic yet boring two weeks all at the same time.  I’ve been creative yet not done things I meant to do.  We also got two more kittens, they’ll never replace my dear Melody (yes her full name was Melody Pond) who got tragically taken from us in June, but they are certainly noisy, crazy and have a streak similar to her in unique weirdness.  It shows what a cat she was that you have to have two kittens to even get close to the daily impact she made on our lives.

In the past few weeks I meant to have a whole lot of knitting done for my cousin who’s just had a baby, instead by the time of the babies birth I’d only done a pair of booties, and started a few other things.  So instead she had those and some previously finished things.

Although here’s some of what I have got done.

macaw patagonion

It was my Dads birthday at the end of September, so one of the cards I’d done just before had an obvious home. We used to own lots of animals and Patagonians were once his favourites.  As for the other card I did in the same weekend, my Macaw picture is yet to find a home.   Both of these were done with my new Sakura Koi watercolour set.

Then I spent the week just gone completing a watercolour painting with the same set.  This was of a yellow Labrador. Of that week I spent about 2 nights with no progress as I was fussing over the new kittens.  lab yellow

Of course I couldn’t end this update without including some sort of picture of the new kittens.  The black and white was called Rainbow when we got her but we’ve since changed that to Rainy, and the tabby is Tigger, she was called Skittles, but as we already have a Skittles that would have been a bit confusing.  She suites the name Tigger anyway as she has about as much energy.

IMG_2432 IMG_2433 IMG_2434

Anyways, that’s enough from me, it’s now back to finishing my Red Tailed Hawk coloured pencil picture, and of course stopping every now and then to happily glance over at the two soundly sleeping kittens on my bed.

Birds and Flowers acrylic painting

Today, in between adding a few more rounds to a seemingly never ending knitting project I’m doing. I finished a canvas board acrylic painting that I’ve been on and off working on for the past week.

Acrylic painting, on canvas board, finished 12/07/2015.  My pictures tend to normally just have one main focus but this one was more of an experimentation as everything all together is more to focus on.  My main inspiration for this painting was the idea that I wanted to do something red. I was really captivated by the idea and so I naturally thought the best was to do it was the contract between red and green.  Creating the green background was certainly fun, I wanted to get as many different tones in it as I could.  Then I just had to decide what to actually paint on it once the background had dried.   As a child I always liked tulips, yet hadn’t actually drawn or painted them since then.

I then added a layer of white onto where I would put the tulips and the other objects.  This allowed me to not only have an idea of what the finished thing would look like, as well as having a guide of where to paint, but also meant that the further colours once added would stand out a lot more. This allowed for a sort of natural shading effect.

023  With the bird, I used my new acrylic mediums I got to today to experiment with the different effects. This created a sort of shine and transparency that I think helps to give the bird slightly more realistic feathers.

024 By far my favourite little detail to this painting is the little ladybird.