So far this year is the furthest I’ve got with inktober and I’m still at it 🙂
Here’s days 1 to 13, I’m sticking with the prompts this year, so that’s been an extra challenge
Well I think it’s a Spaniel, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong! 🙂
My reference photo came from pixabay. It was originally in colour, which I changed to black and white to make doing a graphite picture easier.
To try and make sure my initial drawing was as accurate as possible, I used the grid method as I did in my last picture. I think I still need to improve on making sure a few of the details were in the right place, but overall I’m rather happy with how this has come out.
This is the first picture I’ve completed with the Faber-Castell 9000 graphite pencils and I’m really liking them so far. This picture had lots of layers put on it and the pencils blended really well. I’d definitely recommend these pencils.
I also used a different paper for this piece, I used A4 Bristol Board 280gm. I really liked how smooth and sturdy this paper felt.
Prints are available at Fine Art America
German Shepherd graphite picture, finally completed 🙂
So, it’s finally finished 😀
I’ve had regular updates of this little gem going up on my facebook page since I started working on it, and I’m very pleased to say I’ve finally decided I’m done with it.
I started working on this on the 15th of December and was hoping to have it done by Christmas, only a little over a week over schedule and I completed it yesterday. To be fair it did have to compete for my attention, and somehow Chickens tend to win my attention a little easier.
This was a fun piece to complete. I was going for as much realism as possible with this and used the grid method to try and make sure everything was in the right place. I tend to just try and free hand things entirely, but that doesn’t always help with learning, and can often create the sense of never being able to draw something right. The grid method helps to break things down square at a time.
I used my Royal & Langnickel graphite pencils to complete this. I like these pencils so far, although haven’t really had much to compare them to. I recently brought the Faber-Castell 9000 graphite pencils set, and can’t wait to try them out.
The paper I used was the one I most commonly use as I like it’s smooth finish and the level of detail possible to achieve – The Daler Rowney Hotpressed aquafine smooth watercolour 140lb A4 paper.
The reference photo came from pixabay.
Now off to find someone with one of these impressive looking dogs to make a fuss of before I get distracted by something else.
Prints of this are available on Fine Art America
I’ve not had much time or patience for art work lately, changing jobs, being out in the garden being practical. As well as most importantly making a fuss of our new Chickens.
However as the weather gets less hospitable and there’s less to do, I’m slowly getting back to the artwork. I did get about half way through Inktober, evidence of which can be seen on my facebook page.
I’ve also been meaning to update this site, or maybe create a better website, hopefully I’ll get round to that at some point.
As for now though, I’m very happy with myself, as yesterday I completed the picture below.
Drawn on A5 Derwent watercolour paper, using Royal & Langnickel graphite pencils.
Reference photo from Pixabay
I’d had the idea floating round in my mind for this design for some time, stuck in there with all those other ideas that are all fighting to become reality. I wanted something reasonably quick to complete after the eagle picture, so I decided to attempt to get this done. Drawing out the lettering and colouring them in really reminded me of my old graphics classes and how much I both loved and hated typography. This was drawn on my Daler Rowney A4 65lb Sketch paper, using Staedtler pigment liners.
I felt like doing something a little different and I’d had this idea in my mind for a little while, so I turned a Bald Eagle into a Blue Eagle. The reference photo I used was http://pmp-art.com/angeline-rijkeboer/gallery/157941/bald-eagle
This was done in the same way most of my pictures lately have been, using both Polychromos and Luminance coloured pencils and blending using Gamsol (which is a paint thinner), and was created on Daler Rowney Aquafine hot pressed 140lb watercolour paper. I like using this paper because it’s nice and solid, allows a decent amount of layers, doesn’t seem to buckle at all under water or paint thinner, and also adds a bit of texture because it’s not completely smooth, which works out pretty well when drawing animals I think.
Deviant Art – http://fav.me/d9xujzs
So a few people may know I’ve been working on some commissions lately. Well these four have now been done and given to the person they were intended for as a gift by the person who actually commissioned them. I’m pretty happy with how they’ve turned out.
They were all done using Luminance and Polychromos coloured pencils.