I’ve had regular updates of this little gem going up on my facebook page since I started working on it, and I’m very pleased to say I’ve finally decided I’m done with it.
I started working on this on the 15th of December and was hoping to have it done by Christmas, only a little over a week over schedule and I completed it yesterday. To be fair it did have to compete for my attention, and somehow Chickens tend to win my attention a little easier.
This was a fun piece to complete. I was going for as much realism as possible with this and used the grid method to try and make sure everything was in the right place. I tend to just try and free hand things entirely, but that doesn’t always help with learning, and can often create the sense of never being able to draw something right. The grid method helps to break things down square at a time.
I used my Royal & Langnickel graphite pencils to complete this. I like these pencils so far, although haven’t really had much to compare them to. I recently brought the Faber-Castell 9000 graphite pencils set, and can’t wait to try them out.
The paper I used was the one I most commonly use as I like it’s smooth finish and the level of detail possible to achieve – The Daler Rowney Hotpressed aquafine smooth watercolour 140lb A4 paper.
The reference photo came from pixabay.
Now off to find someone with one of these impressive looking dogs to make a fuss of before I get distracted by something else.
I’d had the idea floating round in my mind for this design for some time, stuck in there with all those other ideas that are all fighting to become reality. I wanted something reasonably quick to complete after the eagle picture, so I decided to attempt to get this done. Drawing out the lettering and colouring them in really reminded me of my old graphics classes and how much I both loved and hated typography. This was drawn on my Daler Rowney A4 65lb Sketch paper, using Staedtler pigment liners.
This was done in the same way most of my pictures lately have been, using both Polychromos and Luminance coloured pencils and blending using Gamsol (which is a paint thinner), and was created on Daler Rowney Aquafine hot pressed 140lb watercolour paper. I like using this paper because it’s nice and solid, allows a decent amount of layers, doesn’t seem to buckle at all under water or paint thinner, and also adds a bit of texture because it’s not completely smooth, which works out pretty well when drawing animals I think.
So a few people may know I’ve been working on some commissions lately. Well these four have now been done and given to the person they were intended for as a gift by the person who actually commissioned them. I’m pretty happy with how they’ve turned out.
They were all done using Luminance and Polychromos coloured pencils.
Well the weather’s quite terrible where I come from today, so here’s a nice little bright almost summery picture to hopefully brighten things up. This was just a little practice paint as I was mainly experimenting on trying to get the tone and shading right on the Rose.
Painted with my Sakura Koi Watercolours set and painted on A5 Derwent watercolour 140lb paper.
Watercolour painting created today using my Sakura Koi Water colours pocket field sketch box. I only used 4 colours in this; yellow ochre, ultramarine blue, light red and a little burnt umber. It was painted on A5 Winsor & Newton cold pressed 140lb watercolour paper. There was no reference photo for this.